Vegan, Gluten-free Layered Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Icing & Raspberries
This is a decadent and delicious cake that is pretty darn good for you! It has zucchini and basil tucked into it and you would NOT know it! You know me, I love my tasty yet nutritious TREATS.
I was laying in bed the other night and couldn’t sleep. My mind wanders towards food at times like this. I allow it, because it is usually some great creative and intuitive juices “flowing in”. Well, I remembered an old recipe that I used to make from my “baking” days. It was a chocolate basil torte. It was sinfully delicious and sinfully full of sugar, butter, chocolate bars – you know, stuff that I would never eat anymore. I had been harvesting all the basil in my garden earlier that day, so maybe that’s why my mind went there. Anyways, I was thinking about that recipe and thought “How can I re-create something like that, but make it healthy, vegan and gluten-free?” I fell asleep not long after that thought and when I woke up – I had a recipe “brewing in my head”. Get thee to some paper, woman and write it down! I did! I went to playing around in the kitchen later that day and came up with a recipe that I loved! So, I wanted to share with you!
Chocolate Basil Cake:
- 3 cups zucchini, grated and squeezed (to get out extra water)
- 1/4 cup warm water + 2 TB. ground flax seed or chia seed (grind 1st, then measure)
- 3/4 cup BASIL sugar (use 3/4 cup coconut sugar + several huge handfuls of fresh basil (the more the better!) – combine this into a food processor and blend till fully incorporated – you will have GREEN sugar that smells like HEAVEN! If you don’t have basil, just use coconut sugar/succanat/Muscavado.
- 1 cup Almond flour (gluten-free) or spelt flour (not gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup Cacao powder
- 1.5 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup organic dark chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together the flax or chia with the warm water, set aside. In another bowl, combine coconut oil, vanilla extract, and BASIL sugar – stir in the flax or chia “egg” followed by the zucchini. Add the flour, cacao powder, sea salt, baking soda and chocolate chips – stir until just combined. Pour mixture into a prepared 8X8 pan (or muffin pan, mini loaf pan) and bake for 30 minutes until a knife (or toothpick) comes out clean. **If using a muffin pan or mini loaf pan, reduce time setting to 20 minutes and watch/ test frequently so they don’t burn.** This cake will be DARK. Let cool in pan on a wire rack. Can cut and eat as is or continue with the rest of the recipe.
Raw chocolate icing/ frosting:
- 1 medium avocado – pitted and flesh scrapped out
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup raw honey, maple syrup or Stevia (1 – 2 dropperfuls to taste – start with 1, taste, and go from there) – I used stevia (it will be thicker if you use stevia and not syrup or honey)
Combine the avocado, sweetener of choice, sea salt in a food processor and blend till smooth. Add the cacao powder and blend again till smooth and creamy. Taste. Adjust sweetness.
NOW IT’S TIME TO PUT IT TOGETHER! COME ON – IT’S EASY! I’LL SHOW YOU HOW!I made my cakes in a mini loaf pan and then cut in half for the layered cake.