Easy Almond Milk recipe and
Immune Boosting – Energy Enhancing Tonic
This has become my favorite hot tonic of late. It is creamy, dreamy and tastes like a mocha cappucino, but without all the effects of caffeine. This tonic includes healing spices and herbs that enhance our overall immunity and keep our energy balanced and stable. I like to drink this tonic in the morning before my breakfast. This is a GREAT afternoon pick-me up. I’ve been making the base of the tonic for myself for some time now. With the inclusion of the Ayurveda principles and diet that I have recently embarked on, I decided to add two ingredients to the drink for my dosha (Vata) and it came out FABULOUS! Plus, I am getting more healthy, natural energy and increased immunity with it. Let’s look at the star players in the line up here.
Turmeric is well known for immune system support and in the treatment of inflammatory disorders (i.e. arthritis)…but that’s not all!
- Turmeric is an anti-microbial. That means it will attack both bacterial infections and viral infections and destroy both. It is particularly effective in treating illnesses of the respiratory system (this makes it a superb remedy for the cold and flu season).
- It has shown to prevent and stop the growth of prostate, breast, skin, lung and colon cancer
- Known to reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes
- A natural liver detoxifier.
- Research shows it may prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.
- As a potent natural anti-inflammatory, turmeric may work just as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs. Furthermore, reducing the risks associated with the side effects of those types of medications.
- It’s a natural painkiller.
- Aids in fat metabolism (i.e. helps with weight management)
- Trusted for many, many years in other cultures as a treatment for depression.
- Skin health! It speeds up wound healing and assists in the treatment of acne, eczema, psoriasis, and uneven pigmentation. (source)
There are some safety issues to keep in mind:: tumeric is a blood thinner, be cautious if taking blood thinners or prior to surgery. Tumeric lowers blood sugar, those taking diabetes or hypoglycemic medications should be cautious. Tumeric increases stomach acid and bile production, and can also increase the absorption of some medications.
In Sanskrit, Ashwagandha means ‘smell of a horse’. A deeper meaning to this per Ayurveda is if you want the strength and vitality of a horse, then get to know this powerful herb ‘Ashwagandha’ – King of Vata Rejuvenative Herbs! It is the ‘ginseng’ of Ayurvedic medicine, the traditional medicine of India and is considered an ‘adaptogen’, a term used to describe herbs that improve physical energy and athletic ability, increase immunity to colds and infections. I personally use this herb in a powder form to balance my Vata dosha and also to regulate my adrenal glands. It gives me energy, balances my body, and boosts my immune system.
One reason for Ashwagandha’s reputation as a general energy-promoting, disease-preventing tonic may be its effect on the immune system. A number of studies have shown significant increases in white blood cell counts and other measures of strengthened immunity in rodents given Ashwagandha or certain chemicals extracted from the herb. Ashwagandha may also have a mild sedative effect on the central nervous system and in animal studies it has been shown to be a muscle relaxant. It is commonly used to increase vitality, particularly when recovering from chronic illnesses and pain management for arthritic conditions. Ashwagandha may also help regulate blood sugar which aids in suppressing sugar cravings. Research shows Ashwagandha may be a promising alternative for cancer treatment and prevention. Ashwagandha seems to show positive effects on the endocrine, cardio, and central nervous systems. It is one herb that could help your body produce it’s own thyroid hormones. (source)
If you are interested, you can purchase capsules and break them open into drink or purchase in bulk (like I do b/c I use it daily) here.
How to make EASY – QUICK Almond Milk
(makes 3 cups almond milk – store in mason jar in fridge)
- 3 cups water
- 3 heaping TB. RAW Almond Butter (I used Trader Joe’s Raw Creamy Almond Butter)
- pinch of sea salt
- sweetener of choice ( I use NuNaturals Vanilla Stevia) to taste
Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender till smooth and creamy. You can use this recipe for any type of nut butter to your liking (cashew, pecan, macadamia, walnut, tahini). **Tip: Great for traveling scenarios. Carry your blender and jar of nut butter and make a nut milk wherever you want. Didn’t soak your nuts (I love saying that!) , grab your jar of nut butter and whip up some nut milk in a minute flat!
Espresso-like Turmeric Tonic for Enhanced Energy and Increased Immunity (serves 2)
- 3 cups of homemade Nut Milk (walnut or almond is GREAT!)
- 1/4 cup Dandy Blend
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp. extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. Ashwaganda Root powder
- 1 tsp. Turmeric Root powder
- 1 TB. carob powder
- sweetener of choice ( I used NuNaturals Vanilla Stevia) to taste
Heat your nut milk in a saucepan on the stove top to desired temperature (I like mine HOT!) Add the nut milk and all the ingredients EXCEPT the turmeric powder (it will stain your blender canister – unless it’s glass) in a high powered blender and blend on HIGH till smooth and creamy. Add the turmeric powder to each cup and pour the piping hot GOODNESS elixir into your mugs – stir well – taste and adjust sweetness. Enjoy! Great for a drink in the morning or in the afternoon.
** To make this recipe an EVENING drink, take OUT the Ashwaganda powder and coconut oil and add raw cacao butter (shaving on top of drink to desired amount). Raw cacao butter is a healthy fat and is literally the pure oil of the cacao bean, which comes directly from the cacao tree, and is what white chocolate is made of. Pure decadence! ♥
I paired this lovely, nurturing drink with a small piece of chocolate zucchini cake I made earlier in the morning. See the recipe here. It is SO WORTH IT!!
** Please NOTE!! I will NOT be at the Whole Foods Demo tomorrow afterall! Something came up on the Vitamix guy’s end, and I won’t be there Saturday, Dec. 8th. Just to let you all know in case you wanted to stop in and say “Hi!” – I won’t be there. Stephanie WILL and you could go by, talk with her and send her some LOVE!
Have a wonderful weekend and I will announce the winner on Monday for the GIVEAWAY of the spiralizer – ENTER NOW if you haven’t already!May the GREENS be with You! and Be Inspired! Kibby