Massaged Kale Salad
In our household, it’s “Hail to the HOLY Kale”. Yes, we love this gorgeous leafy green and even grow it in our garden every year – still have some going right now. It’s super easy to grow and it loves the cooler weather. Some may consider kale bitter, and, admittedly, some varieties of kale are on the bitter side. The secret to eating kale raw, then, is to choose a bunch with smaller leaves, which have a milder flavor. You can try different varieties of kale, such as dinosaur kale, with dark blue-green leaves, which offer a sweeter and more delicate taste than the more common, curly kale. We like all the varieties though. Another secret to eating kale raw is to MASSAGE it well with some healthy fats, an acid base and this GREEN is ready for easy ingesting and digesting. When you first fill the large bowl with kale, it is going to look like this is WAY TOO much to eat. Don’t worry! The kale wilts and reduces greatly in volume. I’ll show you how and my favorite way to prepare and eat in the video recipe below. **Also, some words of wisdom in this video!**
Massaged Kale Salad:
- 1 bunch of organic kale (any variety) – leaves stripped from stem (save stems for juicing or DOGS!)
- 1 avocado – de-seeded
- juice from 1 lemon
- drizzle small amount of sweetener of choice (maple syrup, honey, stevia) – I used stevia
- hemp seeds – I used Mum’s Original Delores Hemp Hearts
- sundried tomatoes or fresh chopped tomatoes
- fresh organic sprouts
- pinch of sea salt
- chipotle or cayenne pepper – to taste (THIS makes the salad, in my opinion)
- (optional) I added chickpeas (organic/canned/rinsed well) that were soaked in olive oil/fresh crushed garlic/italian seasoning to the salad and WOW! – see them in picture.
- Add whatever ingredients you normally like in a salad to this – make it your own!
Take stripped kale leaves and tear or cut into smaller pieces and place in a large sized bowl. Squeeze juice of lemon over leaves, add the avocado and sweetener of choice and start MASSAGING with both hands until the kale starts to soften and wilt, 2 to 3 minutes. Add additional ingredients (anything you want in it, really) and top with a sprinkling of chipotle pepper. Gently mix and serve up immediately or keep in fridge till ready to eat. In my experience, it is best eaten the day made.
Kale is loaded with nutrients and compounds that aid in warding off other diseases and ailments as well. For example, kale is packed with beta-carotene, an important nutrient for good vision. Kale is also an excellent source of vitamin C, which is good for cold prevention, as well as a reduced risk of colon cancer. Finally, kale is rich in minerals, such as iron, manganese, calcium and potassium. So, who wouldn’t want this leafy superfood in one ‘s diet every week? It’s a nutritional storehouse!
If you haven’t bought kale before, go out and buy a healthy looking bunch (ORGANIC, of course) and give it a try. If you’re a kale aficionado, whip up this salad for something new to try this week. I promise – You’ll LIKE it!