Written by Tim Ribonee | 0 Comments | Last Updated: March 20, 2017
Dyson DC40 Multi Floor Ball Vacuum
The Dyson DC40 Multi Floor Lightweight Ball upright vacuum cleaner is one of the most expensive models we’ve reviewed so far – but it certainly has some impressive features. These include “Ball” technology, Dyson’s “Radial Root Cyclone” to prevent suction loss and a relatively lightweight design for easy manoeuvrability.
So there’s no doubt it’s a feature-packed vacuum. But as Dyson is one of the most respected vacuum cleaner brands, we expect a lot from their machines – especially considering the high price. Does the DC40 live up to this high expectation? And, more importantly, is it worth the money? Keep reading to find out.
Please Note: This is a review of the Dyson DC40 Multi Floor Ball standard version – not the DC40 Animal. We’ll be reviewing the DC40 Animal in the near future separately, so keep an eye out for it.
Overview of Dyson DC40 Features
- Radial Root Cyclone technology prevents the machine from losing suction.
- The cyclones also prevent dust and other particles as little as 0.5 microns in size from escaping into the air.
- As you’d expect from a Dyson, the DC40 has strong suction power at the cleaner head.
- The vacuum uses both washable filters, which are designed to last the lifetime of the vacuum, and is bagless so you save money in the long run.
- The head also adjusts itself to maintain contact with any type of floor.
- Ball technology is included with the DC40, making it more manoeuvrable than other vacuums.
- The long reach wand can be instantly released and stretched to approximately five times its initial length.
- The Dyson DC40 also comes with a 5 year guarantee for both parts and labour.
In-Depth Look at the Dyson DC40 Multi Floor Ball Upright Vacuum Cleaner
On the surface, the Dyson DC40 looks like an impressive vacuum. But the question still remains: is it worth the money? Or are you better off getting a cheaper upright vacuum? Let’s take a closer look at the main features.
Appearance and Design
Dyson is known for its high-quality design and construction, and the DC40 is no exception. It’s a durable model that’s relatively lightweight at 7kg. It also has the distinctive Dyson futuristic appearance.
The design is optimised for easy manoeuvrability – especially with the ball. Additionally, the DC40 only takes a couple of minutes to assemble when you first receive it, as there are only 3 parts to put together. Here are a few photos of the Dyson from various angles:
The DC40 is powered by an 1100W motor. This, combined with Radial Root Cyclone technology, helps to route the vacuum’s airflow in a way that maximises suction power at the cleaner head.
Also, the Root Cyclone technology is designed to “spin” the air as quickly as possible. This forces pet hair and dust to be “flung” into the canister – preventing a loss of suction without needing to use a bag.
The dust capacity of the Dyson DC40 is 1.6 litres, which is around average for upright vacuums and similar to models such as the Vax U84-Al-Pe. As we’ve mentioned with other upright vacuum cleaners, a capacity of around 1.6 litres is enough so you won’t need to empty it after every cleaning session. However, you will probably need to empty the DC40 after every 2-3 times round your home (depending on the size).
Ease of Use
When you look down the list of features included with the Dyson DC40, it’s easy to assume that this vacuum must have a steep learning curve! Fortunately, most of the “magic” is taken care of automatically, so in many respects it performs just like a regular upright vacuum cleaner. Here’s a list of the usability features:
- The cleaner head automatically adjusts its height based on the type of floor, so you get maximum suction without having to adjust any settings.
- The ball technology has been upgraded from previous models for a smaller profile and greater manoeuvrability.
- Bin emptying is simple – you just hold it over your dustbin and push a release button.
- As we mentioned earlier, the Dyson DC40 Multi Floor has a high reach wand. This can be released and extended quickly for cleaning those tricky ceiling corners.
- The cord length is 7.5 metres, which is slightly longer than models such as the Zanussi ZAN2000A. This length, combined with the extendable wand, means the DC40 has an excellent cleaning radius.
- A stair tool is included for cleaning both tops and sides of steps.
As you can tell, the Dyson is a true all-rounder when it comes to usability. The only downside is its weight. While it’s called a lightweight vacuum, and 7kg certainly isn’t heavy, there are lighter upright vacuums available. Check out the upright vacuums section for other models if you need a lighter vacuum.
The Dyson DC40 upright vacuum cleaner doesn’t come with a HEPA filter. However, the combination of washable filter and Radial Root Cyclone technology allows the vacuum to capture tiny dust and dirt particles, along with allergens and bacteria. These are then sent into the bin rather than released via exhaust fumes.
In fact, the DC40 Multi Floor has been certified by Allergy Standards Limited as “asthma & allergy friendly” despite its lack of a HEPA filter.
The price of the Dyson DC40 Multi Floor is probably the biggest drawback. With an RRP of AUD350, its one of the most expensive home upright vacuum cleaners. Even so, it contains a number of advanced features that make it more hygienic and efficient, so it’s still worth considering if your budget will stretch.
Additionally, cheap Dyson DC40 Multi Floor deals are often available. We’ve seen the vacuum sold for as little as AUD240 – although deals vary depending on the time of year and retailer.
The Dyson DC40 comes with several extra tools, including a combination tool and stair tool. The stair tool is designed to vacuum dust stuck against the side of steps (and in those pesky corners), while the combination tool has a debris setting that can also be used as a dusting brush.
- The sides of the bin are transparent so you can easily see when it needs to be emptied.
- You can switch off the brushes if necessary.
- A five year parts and labour guarantee is offered by Dyson when buying the DC40.
Dyson DC40 Multi Floor Reviews
The Dyson DC40 Multi Floor has received largely positive reviews on online shopping sites, with most reviewers happy with their purchase despite the high price. Here are some examples of positive comments;
- A reviewer writes that, despite using a wheel chair, he found the Dyson DC40 easy to manoeuvre due to the convenient ball design. He adds that the ball allowed him to clean right to the edge of carpets and under furniture.
- Another writes that the DC40, while heavier than its cousin the DC24, provides more suction power and is also easier to hold. He especially likes how easy it is to vacuum under low furniture with the DC40. Additionally, he writes that it has excellent suction power – and has “picked up dirt he didn’t know was there.”
- A different buyer writes that the vacuum is relatively lightweight and also has strong suction power.
It’s not all good news though. Here are some negative comments:
- One of the reviewers mentioned above, while happy with the machine in general, writes that he has been forced to send the DC40 for repair twice – both times because the plastic cylinder release has broken. Considering the high price, this isn’t really good enough, even though the warranty covered the cost of repair.
- Another reviewer writes that the vacuum has great suction power, but is surprisingly easy to clog up. As he has small children, he regularly uses the vacuum for dry food mess and other small items, which consistently clogs the vacuum.
- Several reviewers mention the Dyson DC40 is unstable when using the hose.
If the Dyson DC40 Multi Floor was a less expensive model, we’d have no reservations about recommending it. It does, however, seem to struggle with larger messes such as dry food. For this reason, we can only recommend it if you mainly use your vacuum for regular household dust and small bits of dirt. For this type of job, it’s an excellent model with strong suction power, great filtration system and an extremely manoeuvrable design. To view the price for this model, click here.